Although this concept may not sound very familiar to you if you are looking for options for getting hair, the truth is that it is essential for the part that concerns us as professionals and, undoubtedly, it is a determining aspect when considering this intervention.
What is trichology?
In terms of a basic, brief and concise definition, trochology is the study of the hair and scalp, the science that deals with it and everything related to the research of the sector and the diagnosis of the state of these aspects in users.
Do you want to get your hair back? We have the perfect solution for you!
From its characteristics we observe aspects such as:
- Thus, a trichologist is a doctor who specialises in the area of hair, including both the hair and the scalp.
- The function of this expert is both the diagnosis of pathologies and their cure as well as the counselling of those affected by hair problems.
- By going to his consultation, you will be able to find out the causes of your hair loss as well as its breakage, generalised thinning and weakness, if a miniaturisation process is taking place, if there are alterations in the scalp, the reason for the formation of dandruff, etc.
- Because an essential part of the mane is the skin of our skull (it is, in fact, the soil in which it is planted that allows it to grow), trichology is a science of multidisciplinary specialisation in which dermatology plays a highly important role.
- Knowledge of molecular biology, reconstructive surgery, andrology, endocrinology, gynaecology, pharmacology, immunology, biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, nutrition, microscopy, psychology, psychiatry, hairdressing, dermopathology, etc. is also required, always in relation, of course, to the functions of this professional in diagnosis, prevention and treatment.
Trichology and hair implantation
No matter which method of hair grafting you choose or the number of follicular units you need, it is always, without exception, necessary that a trichologist carries out a prior consultation for diagnosis and subsequent advice, given according to the physical characteristics and medical history of the patient.
This consultation (or consultations) will include:
- Physical assessment. The health of the scalp is inspected in detail. If there is no obvious problem, this first step will not involve extensive or difficult examinations, only aspects such as elasticity, texture and whether the colour is conventional.
- This consists of observing the structure of the hair using a microscope. In this way, it can be determined whether the problem of hair loss includes a problem in its structure.
- Verification of medical history. By providing medical information and considering the above, pathologies can be ruled out and others can be considered.
- Hormonal study. In some cases it may be necessary, if a solid determination is not reached, to carry out a hormonal study by means of a blood test to indicate whether everything is in order in this respect.
Depending on the results and the trichologist's considerations, it is possible to speculate on the possibility of a hair implant.